
WE POST THIS COMMENT FROM ONE OF OUR CULTURAL CORRESPONDENTS IN THE INTERESTS OF PROVOKING PUBLIC DEBATE (and stirring things up a bit, ed)....
I have been reading a lot recently about the Everyman Playhouse redevelopment and I am absolutely astounded that these 2 poorly attended theatres will get £25 million pounds of local funding.. a further £8million will come from the Arts Council.
I dont know what you think, but there seem to me to be at least 2 other theatres in town, The Neptune and the Royal Court, which could do with a couple of million each to refurbish them.
I know the Neptune is closed at the moment but the Royal Court seems to be quite busy, and when they have been producing their own shows they sell out.
I know the history behind the Playhouse, but £35million, come on it's a ripoff to support the few.
Maybe 2000 people go to the Everyman and the Playhouse each week, and if they were to pay £1 extra it would take over 335 years to repay the money.
So the public are expected to sponsor the art snobs for the next 3 centuries.
any way just my tuppence worth
Takeme Hatoff
I dont know what you think, but there seem to me to be at least 2 other theatres in town, The Neptune and the Royal Court, which could do with a couple of million each to refurbish them.
I know the Neptune is closed at the moment but the Royal Court seems to be quite busy, and when they have been producing their own shows they sell out.
I know the history behind the Playhouse, but £35million, come on it's a ripoff to support the few.
Maybe 2000 people go to the Everyman and the Playhouse each week, and if they were to pay £1 extra it would take over 335 years to repay the money.
So the public are expected to sponsor the art snobs for the next 3 centuries.
any way just my tuppence worth
Takeme Hatoff