This crossed my mind at Whole Foods yesterday, when I noticed a brand of bottled water that has - I learned later - been stocked there since 2007. "Claire Brightwater" promises natural, healthy spring water that comes pre-"programmed." That is, its molecules have been warped with spiritual bliss through the use of music, crystals and prayers. The concept, according to its founder, was born of a prophecy, as told by her grandfather in 1971.
Prophesied water from a US supermarket chain? My first instict is that it's totally nutty. But for all of those seeking 'balance' (I suspect that's everyone), would you rather have the generic brand or the psychically charged? And then there's just the fact that it's a little more fun.
So here's my thought: will the branding of natural products - with their focus on organic processes and environmental/bodily health - take on more of a spiritual dimension in the future? Will my organic jeans be more breathable because that makes it easier to commune with nature? Will I start my smart car with a voice-recognized chant?
Nothing so drastic, perhpas, but I'd love to see more imaginative approaches to products and product interaction, and in particular those that embrace the mystic in all of us.