I'm in Mexico City this week for Mercedes-Benz DFashion Mexico, but I'm also taking to oppurtunity to check out new stores, galleries and designers. Yesterday, I headed to the Common People Concept Store, which opened in Polanco late last year.
The store, housed in a gorgeous 1940s Colonial-style mansion, features many different rooms and alcoves, each with a perfectly-curated retail exhibit. Brands are varied and include luxury names like Prada and Comme des Garcons sitting next to Converse sneakers.
Jewelry and eyewear brands like Alexis Bittar and Mykita are housed in glass cases and shiny metallic fixtures, while vintage pillows and furniture displays bring the shop down to earth with a flea market, found feeling. I especially love the kidswear and baby selection at Common People. Woven hammock cribs, stuffed rhinoceros busts and Mexican craft-inspired apparel make up the colorful and adorable selection.
The outdoor restaurant is also a must. The young professional crowd fills the wooden terrace and bar area for weekday lunches of cinnamon shrimp, game hen with polenta and veggie risotto balls. Don't miss the nutty cheesecake for dessert, served with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Common People
Emilio Castelar 149, Colonia Polanco
Mexico City, Mexico
Tel: +5255 52810800